Get Our Newsletter!
- Read new posts.
Tag Archives: jewelry
For women's fashion.
The holiday season is going to be here before you know it, and savvy holiday shoppers are already thinking about big gifts before December rolls around. There are plenty of things to get the person you love, but jewelry is the classic romantic holiday gift that both men and women can appreciate. Buying anything to suit somebody else’s style can be difficult, and jewelry is no exception. While finding and buying jewelry online is easy enough, you’ll want to avoid getting anything run-of-the-mill – you don’t want to waste money on something that your loved one won’t even like! If you are really looking to surprise someone this holiday season, here are some tips that will help you get them a gift that they will love.
Observe their style
If you really want to get a feel for what your loved one will like, take a look at the jewelry that they already wear. For instance, if they tend to like simple pieces, don’t get them anything too flashy. If they tend to wear a lot of silver, stick with silver pieces or branch out and get them white gold. If you try to mimic the recipient’s style when shopping, you should be able to find something that’s distinctive, but similar enough to their existing collection that it will go well with their wardrobe.
Avoid rings (unless you’re already married)
Rings are in style right now, but they’re also a significant symbol of commitment in our culture. Even if you explicitly say that you aren’t getting your significant other a promise ring or an engagement ring, other people (and possibly even the person you’re giving it to) may not be convinced. There are plenty of other nice options like necklaces, bracelets, earrings, and other pieces that don’t carry such heavy romantic symbolism. Of course, none of this applies if you are just getting a nice ring for your mother.
Think about a symbolic gift
Rings may be out of the question for some couples, but that doesn’t mean that your jewelry gift has to lack symbolism. Gemstones come in a variety of colors and cuts, and some have some significant characteristics that can make the gift more meaningful. Consider getting your loved one jewelry that highlights their birthstone or do a little research on the historical significance of certain gems and minerals. You could give them jewelry made with jade, as it used to be associated with royalty, or choose a lapis lazuli necklace, as this stone was believed to keep your body healthy and your soul at peace.
Ask for help
Are you truly stuck on what to get someone? Since you can’t ask them directly about what they want, do the next best thing: ask their friends or other loved ones for advice. Nobody is going to know this person’s style better than their friends and family. Take these people shopping or send them a few links to gifts you’re thinking about purchasing. Their input can be invaluable, and they could even get a little information from your recipient about what they really want for the holidays.
These are some of the best ways to get someone the perfect jewelry gift. Can you think of any other holiday jewelry buying hacks?
If wedding bells are to be ringing in the near future, you will need to be ringing yourself, too, as you shop for engagement rings for her. But what ring should you buy? How do you research it? And what should you know about them? We’ll give you a head start with these candid tips.
Speak To An Experienced Jeweler
We are all good at something. So unless you are an experienced jeweler, you really should talk to an expert about diamond engagement rings before you make that big purchase. Jewelers can help you better understand what you should be looking for, what your budget allows and why you should consider different sizes or cuts over another. It’s always helpful to get the advice of a working professional, so you can make the best decision for your budget.
Know Her Size
If you are trying to keep the ring a surprise, which is typically the case, then there are some sneaky ways that you can determine her ring size. First, off, some of you will already know her ring size, so you can skip this step. But if you are not aware of what it is, take a look in her jewelry box. Borrow a few rings and take them to a local jewelry store so you can have them sized. Then replace them later so she is not aware of your sneakiness.
Determine Your Budget
One of the most critical elements of finding the perfect diamond engagement rings relates directly to your budget. What can you afford to buy and how high of quality are you able to get without breaking the bank? There are always financing options that are available, too, something that you can consider if a monthly payment fits your budgeting better than a lump sum purchase. With financing, you can also look for a better quality ring as well.
Learn About The 5 C’s
The 5 C’s is a common terminology used to are diamonds. Understanding how this works can help you choose the best ring for your lover. According to WikiHow, the 5 C’s stands for the following: Cut, Color, Clarity, Carat and Confidence. Once you are more familiarized with how these aspects work (which can be accomplished by talking to a jeweler), you will be armed with the knowledge that you require to find the best diamond ring for your budget.
Research Your Options
Lastly, take your time. Be patient. Do not lunge for the first ring that you find and open your wallet, as this is usually a mistake. Rather, carefully research all of your options. Realize that an engagement ring is one of the larger purchases that you will ever make. Compare your options, shop around and be scrupulous. Do this, and you will be able to present her with a ring that makes her blush and smile from ear to ear.
When it comes to the award ceremonies each year, the red carpet is where you will see what is trending in both fashion and jewelry. At this year’s 67th Emmy Awards in Los Angeles on September 20th, it was definitely the “statement earring” that ruled the red carpet. There was so much emphasis placed on the earring that a lot of celebrity necklines remained bare, in order to let the earrings steal the show.
One example is Julia Louis-Dreyfus, who was stunning in a one-shoulder black gown. Not only was Julia a winner in the category of “Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series”, but she also brought on the sparkle with her 28.78 carat white and colored diamond earrings by Chopard. They were like wearing an entire solar system of shining stars on your ears.
A similarly stunning look was worn by Sophia Vegara from Modern Family. To accessorize her curve loving, strapless metallic dress, she chose a large spiral pair of champagne diamond earrings, set in platinum, by a popular celebrity jeweler Lorraine Schwartz. The spiral shape brought much interest up to her jaw-line and golden color of the diamonds was the perfect accompaniment to her shimmering golden gown.
Aside from the splash of all diamonds, there were also some great gemstone and vintage looking earrings on this year’s Emmy Awards red carpet. Julie Bowen, also a starring actress from the hit comedy show Modern family, had a pair of deep green, organically shaped drop earrings that dangled from a sparkly diamond hoop. These and Julie’s matching ring really infused some color to her fantastic mermaid style gown.
There were also several vintage- looking statement earrings that were worn at the 2015 Emmy red carpet. Actress Maggie Gyllenhaal had on this gorgeous pair of diamond and gold lacy medallion drop earrings that were not overpowering, but still made a statement.
Society evolved and what was seen as common practice a few years ago is no longer accurate. Nowadays, modern women do expect the same rights as men and education evolved to the point where engagement rings are no longer just for women.
Women have many reasons to consider proposing. In some situations this happens as the woman just wants to know where the relationship is at. Also, we do have the situation in which the woman is faced with a better financial stability where she thinks that it is financial worries stopping the man from buying an engagement ring. No matter what situation we are faced with, younger crowds do gravitate towards gender role sharing without any associated embarrassment. This led towards a constant growth in popularity for handmade engagement rings for men.
The Fiancee Is Taken
Women do now want other women to know the fact that the fiancée is taken so it is normal to see that increase in man-gagement rings. Jewellery stores are quickly picking up the trend and feminists do consider it offensive that they have to wear an engagement ring, showcasing that they are taken, while men do not have such a limit that is imposed. Couples do buy matching rings, without taking into account who proposed.
Men Do Wear Jewellery
A few years ago, up until the late nineties, most men did not wear jewellery. This trend did change. There are many men that wear designer clothes and jewellery. Because of this shift, many men are feeling a little slighted that girlfriends receive beautiful engagement rings and they do not. Women thus now buy matching engagement rings for their soon to be spouses. We also see a constant increase in the number of men that buy their very own engagement rings, usually as a set that comes with the woman’s.
Gay Marriage Rights
In the USA we have gay marriage being legal in all states. That automatically led towards a growth in the number of male engagement rings as they basically take on a brand new meaning together with the legal aspect of gay marriage. Various jewellery stores in states that were progressive about this matter are now promoting diversity and actually have many interesting diamond rings that are designed for men that want to engage to other men.
Creating New Traditions
Engagement rings for men are driven in part by the fact that the younger generation is now looking to create brand new traditions and distance itself from the older traditions. The current generation has a reputation of bucking tradition and going on a new path with millennials embracing equality and the evolution of marriage.
On the whole, we can say that marriage is nowadays seen differently and engagement rings for men are no longer taboo. They are accepted and they are becoming a part of culture in many parts of the world. There is no shame in wearing one and there are some that are incredibly beautiful in jewellery stores that embraced change.
Silver is a beautiful metal and when it is used to make handmade jewellery it can be wonderfully exquisite because of its brilliance, lustre and versatility. A silver charm bracelet is a gorgeous one of a kind piece of jewellery that you will treasure, but if it is neglected it can be prone to tarnish.
When silver comes into contact with sulphur or oxygen it can appear dirty or discoloured and this will take away from the beauty of your jewellery. Caring for silver jewellery and keeping it looking like new isn’t too difficult, it simply requires a few simple steps. In this article we will offer tips for caring for your silver jewellery so that you can keep it shining bright.
- Never wear your silver jewellery when swimming, as the chlorinated water of a pool or the salt water of the ocean will cause it to become tarnished.
- Make sure that you spray on hairspray and perfume before you put on your jewellery, as these chemicals can also negatively affect the shine.
- Silver jewellery should be stored in a cool and dry place and should be wrapped in acid free tissue paper or a tarnish-resistant cloth that is specially designed for silver jewellery.
- Many people swear by the practice of adding a piece of white chalk to where they store their silver jewellery, as this old remedy is reported to prevent tarnish.
- Another strategy is to use one of the silica packs that you get when you buy a pair of new shoes – they are designed to absorb moisture and they can help your silver to last longer.
- When it comes time to clean your jewellery, you should clean it with soap and water and polish it with a soft cloth and dry it very well.
- You should not use toothpaste when cleaning your silver charm bracelets, as it will scratch the silver.
- You don’t need to wash the jewellery every time, you can keep it clean on a regular basis by using a polishing cloth and buffing it. There are polishing cloths that you can buy which are designed for silver and are impregnated with a polishing compound. They last a long time and they give an amazing shine.
- When you are polishing your silver charm bracelets you should be using a back and forth motion along the grain of the silver, rather than rubbing it in circles. When you rub the silver in circles it will magnify any of the tiny scratches in the metal. It is also important to switch to a different part of the cloth regularly so that you will not be placing tarnish back onto the silver.
- If you need to get into the small grooves and areas of your silver charm jewellery, you can use a Q-tip.
- There are commercial dips that are made for silver jewellery, but they can be harsh and they should only be used when the silver is very heavily tarnished.
- After you have cleaned your silver jewellery you should always make sure to dry it completely, because if you leave any residue on it that will cause the silver to tarnish faster.
- You might consider cleaning your silver jewellery with steam or hot water, but remember that these methods are good for metals but not necessarily for delicate stones.
- Do not use gloves when you are cleaning silver, as the rubber will emit a sulphur that will damage the silver.
- A natural solution is to use olive oil and lemon juice and mix it in a large bowl. You can use about one half cup of lemon juice to a teaspoon of olive oil. Dip a cloth into the solution and use it to wipe the jewellery, then rinse the silver and let it dry completely.
- Another option is to use white vinegar and baking soda to clean your jewellery. You can soak the tarnished piece of jewellery in a half cup of white vinegar and two tbsp. of baking soda for two or three hours, then rinse off the charm bracelet and let it dry completely. Be prepared – when you combine the baking soda and vinegar it will start to fizz!
These are just a few important tips that you should keep in mind when it comes to caring for your charm bracelet and other silver jewellery. With the right care and maintenance, this jewellery will look beautiful, bright and shiny for many years.