Tag Archives: silver
Silver is a beautiful metal and when it is used to make handmade jewellery it can be wonderfully exquisite because of its brilliance, lustre and versatility. A silver charm bracelet is a gorgeous one of a kind piece of jewellery that you will treasure, but if it is neglected it can be prone to tarnish.
When silver comes into contact with sulphur or oxygen it can appear dirty or discoloured and this will take away from the beauty of your jewellery. Caring for silver jewellery and keeping it looking like new isn’t too difficult, it simply requires a few simple steps. In this article we will offer tips for caring for your silver jewellery so that you can keep it shining bright.
- Never wear your silver jewellery when swimming, as the chlorinated water of a pool or the salt water of the ocean will cause it to become tarnished.
- Make sure that you spray on hairspray and perfume before you put on your jewellery, as these chemicals can also negatively affect the shine.
- Silver jewellery should be stored in a cool and dry place and should be wrapped in acid free tissue paper or a tarnish-resistant cloth that is specially designed for silver jewellery.
- Many people swear by the practice of adding a piece of white chalk to where they store their silver jewellery, as this old remedy is reported to prevent tarnish.
- Another strategy is to use one of the silica packs that you get when you buy a pair of new shoes – they are designed to absorb moisture and they can help your silver to last longer.
- When it comes time to clean your jewellery, you should clean it with soap and water and polish it with a soft cloth and dry it very well.
- You should not use toothpaste when cleaning your silver charm bracelets, as it will scratch the silver.
- You don’t need to wash the jewellery every time, you can keep it clean on a regular basis by using a polishing cloth and buffing it. There are polishing cloths that you can buy which are designed for silver and are impregnated with a polishing compound. They last a long time and they give an amazing shine.
- When you are polishing your silver charm bracelets you should be using a back and forth motion along the grain of the silver, rather than rubbing it in circles. When you rub the silver in circles it will magnify any of the tiny scratches in the metal. It is also important to switch to a different part of the cloth regularly so that you will not be placing tarnish back onto the silver.
- If you need to get into the small grooves and areas of your silver charm jewellery, you can use a Q-tip.
- There are commercial dips that are made for silver jewellery, but they can be harsh and they should only be used when the silver is very heavily tarnished.
- After you have cleaned your silver jewellery you should always make sure to dry it completely, because if you leave any residue on it that will cause the silver to tarnish faster.
- You might consider cleaning your silver jewellery with steam or hot water, but remember that these methods are good for metals but not necessarily for delicate stones.
- Do not use gloves when you are cleaning silver, as the rubber will emit a sulphur that will damage the silver.
- A natural solution is to use olive oil and lemon juice and mix it in a large bowl. You can use about one half cup of lemon juice to a teaspoon of olive oil. Dip a cloth into the solution and use it to wipe the jewellery, then rinse the silver and let it dry completely.
- Another option is to use white vinegar and baking soda to clean your jewellery. You can soak the tarnished piece of jewellery in a half cup of white vinegar and two tbsp. of baking soda for two or three hours, then rinse off the charm bracelet and let it dry completely. Be prepared – when you combine the baking soda and vinegar it will start to fizz!
These are just a few important tips that you should keep in mind when it comes to caring for your charm bracelet and other silver jewellery. With the right care and maintenance, this jewellery will look beautiful, bright and shiny for many years.
For women's fashion.
Ladies, why not show off that fabulous manicure with a trendy new ring? Dainty little rings are nice, but big statement pieces are king of the scene these days. Get in on the fun with a few baubles to really dress up those Instagram shots. There’s something for everyone and at $30 and under, every budget too!
Add a little personality with French Connection’s Silver-Tone Nugget and Tube Ring. This fashion forward ring features an open design and a majestic monarch blue faceted stone.
X marks the spot with BCBGengeration’s Gold-Tone X Ring. This popular ‘x’ shaped design is a favorite among fashion bloggers and nail art enthusiasts. This crossed ring is an easy way to add interest to any ensemble.
Geometrical ancient designs are never a bad idea. Lucky Brand’s Silver-Tone Geometric Ring brings an Aztec-print straight to your finger tips. Perfect to pair with a boho sundress or the suedes of fall. This ring is the cool fashion girl’s new best friend.
INC International Concepts’ Gold-Tone Crystal Pavé Bar Ring is like modern elegance for your finger. The bold eye-catching design feels luxe and expensive when paired with rolled up jeans and a t-shirt and perfect with a sleek silhouettes for a night out.
With so many fancy designs (and 10 fingers), we don’t see a reason to stop at just one. So take advice from Beyonce and “put a ring on it.”
With Christmas just around the corner, now is the time to start putting in your jewelry orders with Saint Nick. After all, what better gift could be received than the gift of jewelry? If you are keen to be seen with some of the hottest jewelry trends going into 2015, you are in the right place. Jewelry in 2015 is going to make a big impact. Flashy, subtle, gold and silver. We’ve got it covered.
So what’s going to be hot coming into 2015? Let’s look.
Pearls are a Girl’s Best Friend
Pearls are hotly tipped for next year. They’re going to be one of the hottest trends. The key to pulling of pearls is to make sure that they are simple and small. Your pearl should encase in a simple silver droplet necklace. This is a beautiful, elegant trend. But, it hones in on the vintage trend that shows no signs of slowing down. Pearls are beautiful and feminine. But, they can also look sophisticated when teamed with a little black dress.
Slogan bracelets have been made popular by Chanel. But, according to Whiteflash jewelry store in Houston, Chanel is only the beginning. Many designers are keen to have slogan bracelets within their range. These are funky and on trend. What’s more, they break all of the fashion rules. Tarnished metal tones are the key to pulling off this look. This season, it’s all about wearing your life choices on your wrist. What could be more perfect?
Gold cuffs are the perfect accessory for any fashion-forward person, man or woman. What’s more, a drab outfit can look instantly fabulous with a gold cuff. Tarnished brass tones are popular. But, rose gold hues, and bold gold is making a big comeback. This is the perfect way to complete any outfit. It’s a cheap way to remain ahead of the curve and hit all of the right style notes. Keep it plain and simple for maximum impact – brand Miansai follows this rule swimmingly. Some designers are choosing to etch simplistic Aztec patterns into the cuff. These are positively fierce too. Needless to say, jewelry – and especially men’s fashion jewelry – is back with a bang for 2015. This time it is bigger and bolder than ever before.
Silver has always been a hotly tipped precious metal choice. For the ultimate bohemian type, silver is a mainstay. This year, however, silver has had an upgrade. Silver is going to be bold, big and fearless. Whereas gold needs to be underplayed for maximum impact, silver should be worn loud and proud. Stack silver rings, cuffs, and bracelets for the ultimate bohemian look. Add delicate silver necklaces with chunkier, harsher tones. Layering and stacking are going to be a prominent feature within silver jewelry. Remaining on trend doesn’t mean splashing the cash. It means choosing your investment pieces wisely.
The choker and the elongated chain are going to be worn together in tandem next year. Gold is the obvious choice for a striking impact. But, do as Versace does and ensure that you are mixing and matching your precious metals.
So you’re finally engaged, and all that there is left to do now is organize the wedding. However, if your man is like most men, then don’t be surprised if your husband-to-be has plenty of wedding ring ideas to contribute, but not a lot of the action. If this sounds like your man, and you both share an affinity for medieval lore, we’ve got some ideas to share with him. Oh, and you too.
These rings, much like every other trend from years past, is rising again in popularity. Be forewarned, ye men with chivalrous intent: not all ring makers are created equally, and the power of social suggestion can help drastically reduce errors in shopping for these ring makers.
It starts with custom ring makers!
Medieval style rings, when designed properly and fitted comfortably, are as exquisite and amazingly widespread today as they were centuries ago; if you recall, just before gold and gemstones exploded into mainstream shopper’s eyes, hand-crafted jewelry was typically styled in older gothic or plain bands. Today’s foray of custom rings come from custom ring makers that can emulate virtually any Arthurian style or gothic caricature you choose. Just choose wisely, my male friends, because this ring will become the centerpiece of your (hopefully) everlasting marriage.
With so many options when it comes to purchasing that elusive wedding ring, it is not only important to do your research about potential jewelry makers, but also research the options with respect to the various medieval overtones you wish to maintain throughout your marriage – and on her finger.
Overall, customized jewelry shows more character than your quintessential department store showpieces. Medieval buffs, as a whole, also appreciate having a wedding look that accentuates their attitude, beliefs and can be worn comfortably without taking it off. Note that many are making platinum custom medieval rings due to their tougher, scratch resistant surface.
Medieval style rings undergo an interesting process to get created properly. First, the procedure commences by arranging a consultation between you and an expert ring design specialist. Next, they’ll normally create a hand-carved impression of the ring style you want out of waxy substances, then take that impression and forge the creation you are expecting.
Buying medieval style rings that suit your style
While it is no small feat, knowing what you’re likely to face when shopping for that special engagement or wedding ring set will help you cope with the challenges ahead and help you enjoy the full rewards that come from shopping for custom rings.
Leverage the power of Google, social suggestion and subtle hints from your significant other when shopping for that special custom design ring ensemble for your wife-to-be. Finally, don’t believe everything you see regarding ring shopping from people on television; all the people you see having fun flashing their jewelry are doing so because the person behind the camera directing everything is a professional – and not necessarily the ring maker. Take the opportunity to make this creation yours, after all it’s meant to last forever.
INFEASIBLE: Gold earrings with ~*cutesy*~ danglers
Feasible: Single tiny silver hoop earring in upper cartilege
My friend Kev rocks a similar one (yes, only one) in the upper part of his left ear and it works splendidly for him. Doesn’t mean it’ll work for you, Mr. Stuck-in-the-90s Guy. Trend carefully with earrings, youngling.